Nikon Zf Overview
Performance to Inspire
Designed for modern-day content creators, the Nikon Zf Mirrorless Camera delivers full-frame image quality and UHD 4K video recording in a classic-looking retro-styled camera body. Offering exceptional low-light imaging performance, fast and efficient autofocus, an advanced 8-stop 5-axis vibration reduction system, high-resolution pixel-shift shooting technology, and a large 3.2″ vari-angle touchscreen, this sophisticated camera is optimized for all your image-making and video needs.
24.5MP FX-Format BSI CMOS Sensor
A 24.5MP BSI CMOS sensor is used for all-around shooting, impressive low-light image quality, and fast readout speeds to benefit continuous shooting, movies, and time-lapse recording. The back-illuminated design of the sensor also affords noticeably clean high-sensitivity output for reduced noise when working at high ISO values. Additionally, the Zf features a high-resolution photo mode that combines multiple exposures to create a single 96MP file.
Complementing the sensor is an advanced processing engine, the EXPEED 7, which works in conjunction with the sensor design to realize impressively fast AF speeds, burst shooting rates, a high buffer capacity, fluid video performance, and quick all-around handling.
UHD 4K Recording
Matching the camera’s high-end photo attributes, the Zf offers a variety of frame rates and resolutions for all your video needs. Oversampled from 6K, UHD 4K video recording is possible with full pixel readout up to 30p, and Full HD 1080p video recording is also supported up to 120p for slow motion playback.
Internal recording directly to a memory card with 10-bit SDR/HLG/N-log tone modes.
Fast and Intelligent AF
Utilizing deep learning technology, automatic Subject Detection now recognizes nine distinct subject types. With this AF system, subjects are automatically detected, focused on, and tracked to ensure sharp focus when the subject is moving across the frame. Additionally, the Zf also features 3D Tracking, which locks onto fast, erratically-moving subjects that move parallel and perpendicular to the camera.
In-body 5-axis sensor-shift Vibration Reduction compensates for up to 8 stops of camera shake when paired with Z-mount lenses. This system also works with adapted F-mount lenses when using the optional FTZ Adapter, where 3-axis stabilization is used.
Focus point vibration reduction system, which maximizes VR based on the location of your focus point.
- A large 3.2″ vari-angle touchscreen is available for bright and clear image playback and live view shooting. The screen allows you to work from high and low angles, while its touchscreen design enables intuitive operation, navigation, and setting control. The camera also now features a new Touch Fn function, which allows you to simultaneously use the Z f’s touchscreen to move focus points, select a subject to track, and toggle between display modes, all while using the viewfinder.
- Pre-release capture records up to 30 JPEGS a full second before shutter is released.
- Dedicated switch for instantly toggling in real-time between color and black and white capture.
- Compatible with optional MC-N10 Remote Grip and AR-11 Soft Shutter Release.
Nikon NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/4 S Lens
Covering a useful range of focal lengths, the NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/4 S is a versatile zoom, spanning wide-angle to portrait-length perspectives. Its constant f/4 maximum aperture maintains a consistent exposure throughout the zoom range and also helps to realize a more compact and lightweight alternative to an f/2.8 zoom. In regard to the optical design, a unique aspherical extra-low dispersion element, in addition to three aspherical elements, is used to help reduce chromatic aberrations and distortions throughout the zoom range in order to achieve high image sharpness and clarity. Both Nano Crystal and Super Integrated Coatings have also been applied to control flare and ghosting for greater contrast and color rendering in bright and backlit conditions.
Complementing the optics, a stepping motor provides quick, quiet, and precise autofocus performance along with full-time manual focus override to suit both stills and video applications. A programmable control ring can be set for intuitive adjustment over a variety of camera and exposure settings. Additionally, the lens has a button-less retractable barrel to realize a more compact form factor when not in use.
- Standard zoom covers a wide-angle to portrait-length range and is designed for FX-format Z-mount mirrorless cameras.
- Constant f/4 maximum aperture affords consistent performance throughout the zoom range and also contributes to the relatively lightweight design and compact form factor.
- A unique aspherical extra-low dispersion element is incorporated into the optical design, along with three additional aspherical elements, to greatly reduce chromatic and spherical aberrations, distortion, coma (comatic aberration), and flare for consistent edge-to-edge sharpness and illumination.
- A Nano Crystal Coat, along with a Super Integrated Coating, has been applied to lens elements to minimize surface and internal reflections for a marked reduction in lens flare and ghosting.
- Stepping motor delivers impressively smooth, quiet, and fast autofocus performance that is well-suited to both stills and video applications. Full-time manual focus override is also possible and an internal focusing design is used, where only the internal lens groups are moved during focusing, to maintain the overall length of the lens during use and to promote faster focusing speeds.
- Programmable Control Ring is, by default, set to adjust manual focus, but can also be used to control aperture or exposure compensation.
- Specialized electromagnetic aperture mechanism provides greater exposure control stability that is especially beneficial when working with fast continuous shooting rates.
- Rounded seven-blade diaphragm promotes a pleasing out of focus quality that benefits the use of shallow depth of field and selective focus techniques.
- Exposed elements feature a fluorine coating that affords protection to the optical system against dust, grease, and water droplets.
- Dust- and moisture-resistant lens barrel benefits the lens’ use in inclement conditions.
- Button-less retractable design maintains a compact form factor when the lens is not in use.