Blending classic looks with modern performance, the Nikon Zfc checks off all the boxes on a content creator’s wish list: stylish and sleek retro design, impressive image quality with the Z mirrorless system flexibility, and it’s optimized for vlogging and video applications.
The Zfc is a DX-format mirrorless camera sporting a 20.9MP CMOS sensor, which pairs with EXPEED 6 image processing to realize quick shooting performance up to 11 fps, UHD 4K video recording at 30p, and sensitivity up to ISO 51200. Despite its classic looks, this camera is updated for contemporary content creation and features a fully articulating touchscreen LCD, supports live streaming, is compatible with external microphones, and has an advanced 209-point AF system with full-time subject tracking and eye-detection AF.
Focusing on the physical design, the Zfc stands out as a clear reference to Nikon’s classic SLR film camera heritage, and features several familiar physical controls on the body, including dedicated dials to adjust ISO, shutter speed, and exposure compensation. The body also features a 2.36m-dot OLED EVF and supports SnapBridge wireless connectivity for pairing with a mobile device for remote camera control. Also benefitting on-location shoots and longer takes, the Zfc also supports in-camera battery charging and on-the-go power via the USB C port.
20.9MP DX-Format CMOS Sensor and EXPEED 6 Image Processor
The DX-format 20.9MP CMOS sensor is paired with the EXPEED 6 image processor to provide a versatile mixture of high sensitivity, nuanced image quality, and fast overall performance. At native values, a sensitivity range from ISO 100-51200 permits working in a broad array of lighting conditions, and can be further expanded up to ISO 204800 for extreme low-light conditions. The mixture of resolution and sensor size also contributes to clean image quality and smooth color transitions with reduced noise throughout the sensitivity range. In addition to benefitting image quality, the EXPEED 6 processor also affords a wealth of speed throughout the camera system, including a top full-resolution continuous shooting rate of 11 fps.
Besides imaging, the sensor’s design also incorporates a 209-point hybrid autofocus system, which uses both phase-detection and contrast-detection methods to quickly and accurately acquire focus for both stills and video applications. This focusing system also supports Eye Detection AF, which uses facial recognition to help lock focus onto subjects’ eyes.
UHD 4K Video Recording
Capable of recording more than just stills, the Zfc supports UHD 4K video recording at up to 30 fps and Full HD recording at up to 120 fps, for slow-motion effects, along with the ability to save movie files to the in-camera memory card. In-camera time-lapse shooting is also possible.
Heritage Design with Intuitive Functions
Precision carved aluminum dials with engraved markings and mechanical controls for shutter speed, ISO, and exposure compensation. Intuitive functions also enable easy access to auto mode, quick settings, and the menu help guide.
Body Design and Connectivity
- A large 3″ 1.04m-dot LCD screen is available for bright, clear, and vivid image playback and live view shooting. The screen has a vari-angle design, which benefits front-facing selfie captures, and it is also a touchscreen for more intuitive operation, navigation, and settings control.
- A 2.36m-dot electronic finder is present for comfortable eye-level viewing. It has a 1.02x magnification and uses NIKKOR optics to guarantee a sharp, clear image.
- A robust magnesium alloy chassis is both dust- and weather-resistant to benefit working in harsh climates and inclement conditions.
- Built-in SnapBridge connectivity to enable seamless transfer of low-resolution imagery as well as remote shooting capabilities. BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) and Wi-Fi enables communication between the camera and a smart device and, additionally, the mobile device can remotely trigger the shutter and display a live view image from the camera to enable working from a distance.
- Live streaming and web conferencing via separately purchased USB Type-C cable.
- 3.5mm stereo mini-pin jack provides plug-in power
- Included EN-EL25 rechargeable lithium-ion battery provides approximately 300 shots per charge.
- Compatible with NIKKOR Z lenses as well as F-mount lenses using the separately purchased FTZ Mount Adapter.
- NIKKOR Z DX 16-50mm Lens
Included with the camera body is the NIKKOR Z DX 16-50mm f/3.5-6.3 VR lens; an especially compact 24-75mm-equivalent zoom covering wide-angle to portrait length perspectives. Its optical design incorporates aspherical and extra-low dispersion elements, which help to reduce a variety of aberrations for sharper, clearer image quality throughout the zoom range. The lens’s flexible focal length range is complemented by Vibration Reduction image stabilization, which minimizes the appearance of camera shake by up to 4.5 stops for sharper handheld shooting. A stepping motor provides quick, quiet, and precise autofocus performance along with full-time manual focus override to suit both stills and video applications.