Manfrotto MVDDM23 Overview
Control your Nikon or Canon DSLR from the Digital Director for iPad mini 2/3 from Manfrotto. The Digital Director is an advanced tether solution comprised of three main components: a user-supplied iPad, an Apple Certified Digital Director iPad holder with a built-in microprocessor, and the Digital Director App. These three components work together seamlessly to provide you with control over your camera’s still and video functions right from the iPad.
The heart of the Digital Director is the iPad holder which is customized to securely fit the iPad mini 2/3 and features a lock to prevent accidental release. The iPad slips into the holder and the Lightning connector provides communication between the iPad and the built-in ARM Cortex A8 600 MHz microprocessor, and a USB cable connects the unit to the camera. The processor allows for real-time live view monitoring when shooting stills or videos, as well as fast download speeds when transferring full size JPEGs from the camera’s memory card to the iPad.
Digital Director App
- The intuitive iPad application controls key functions of your Nikon or Canon DSLR camera such as focus point, exposure, aperture and shutter speed.
- The app provides real-time live view monitoring, manual focus control with focus peaking, and touchscreen point autofocus.
- Interactive Focus can be used to select the focus point anywhere on the iPad’s screen. Digital zoom magnifies the selected focus point to ensure crisp and accurate focus.
- A toolbar shows histograms, exposure controls, focus controls, color temperature, the shutter button, and audio levels when shooting video. In full-screen mode the floating toolbar can be moved anywhere on the screen, and the individual control can be opened and flicked away to remove on-screen clutter.
- Image star ratings allow you to sort images, and the app can organize them into albums, shoot profiles, and connection profiles.
- Download full-size JPEGs to the iPad and adjust the image’s exposure, contrast, and light. You can also crop and rotate the image, check the histogram and EXIF data. Once complete, you can share your edited images via FTP, Email, or on social networks directly from your iPad’s camera roll.
- The app allows you to choose between single shot mode or continuous mode using the large shutter button on the iPad screen.
- A plug-in for Adobe Lightroom is available to help import additional Digital Director metadata from images taken while using the Digital Director.
Digital Director iPad Holder
- The Digital Director consists of a custom-fit frame to fit the iPad mini 2/3 and an electronic interface with an ARM Cortex A8 600 MHz microprocessor. The frame is user-replaceable so that it maintains compatibility with future iPads.
- A 3/8″-16 female thread allows the holder to attach to a variety of supports, and two notches to match up with Manfrotto’s anti-twist mounts.
- Four cold shoe mounts on the back of the Digital Director are provided for attaching various accessories.
- The holder is powered by four user-supplied AA batteries or by the included AC adapter, which includes four international adapters: North America, Italy, Germany, and UK.
- The Digital Director connects to the camera via the USB port and up to a 32.8′ USB cable.
- EOS-1D X, 1D C, 5DS, 5DS R, 5D Mark III, 6D, 7D Mark II, 70D, 60D, Rebel T6s/760D, Rebel T6i/750D, Rebel T5i/700D, Rebel SL1/100D, Rebel T5/1200D
- D4S, D4, D810, D800, D800E, Df, D750, D610, D7200, D7100, D7000, D5500, D5300