Canon EOS R Overview
The first step in Canon’s mirrorless evolution, the EOS R pairs a redeveloped lens mount and updated full-frame image sensor for a unique and sophisticated multimedia camera system. Revolving around the new RF lens mount, the EOS R is poised to be the means from which to make the most of a new series of lenses and optical technologies.
Focusing on the camera itself, the EOS R features a high-resolution 30.3MP full-frame CMOS sensor along with a DIGIC 8 image processor. The combination of these technologies offers a wide sensitivity range up to a native ISO 40000, fast continuous shooting to 8 fps, and UHD 4K30 video recording. In addition to imaging, the sensor also facilitates an advanced Dual Pixel CMOS AF system, which uses 5655 selectable points for quickly and accurately acquiring focus. This focusing system is also sensitive down to EV -6 for working in impressively dark conditions. The AF system is also perfectly matched to the UHD 4K video recording capabilities, which are also rounded out by Movie Digital IS to minimize camera shake, built-in Canon Log gamma for a greater dynamic range, and 4K 10-bit 4:2:2 output over HDMI for even greater color control.
Beyond the performance attributes, this camera has been designed from the ground up and features a high-resolution 3.69m-dot OLED electronic viewfinder for clear and bright eye-level viewing. Conversely, a rear 3.15″ 2.1m-dot LCD touchscreen is also featured, and has a swivel design to suit working from high and low angles. Also catering to the tactile cravings is a Multi-Function bar, which is customizable for intuitively adjusting shooting settings. And as a camera built to withstand the toughest environments, the magnesium alloy body is dust and moisture-sealed.
Canon RF Lens Mount
Beginning with a new lens mount, the EOS R is the first camera to support Canon’s line of RF-mount lenses. This mount is characterized by its wide 54mm diameter and short 20mm flange-back distance, which promotes the ability to design lenses that are both faster and smaller than their SLR equivalents. The mount also incorporates a 12-pin electronic contact system for more sophisticated autofocus and image stabilization capabilities. This mount design also lends full compatibility to existing EF and EF-S-mount lenses via an optional EF-EOS R Mount Adapter.
30.3MP Full-Frame CMOS Sensor and DIGIC 8 Image Processor
A large 30.3MP full-frame CMOS sensor is featured and serves as an ideal balance between high-resolution output, low-light performance, and high-speed capabilities. When paired with the DIGIC 8 image processor, the EOS R affords a native sensitivity range of ISO 100-40000, which can be expanded to ISO 50-102400 for working in a variety of lighting conditions. Quick continuous shooting to 8 fps is also supported for photographing moving subjects.
Dual Pixel CMOS AF
Dual Pixel CMOS AF offers smooth and fast focusing performance in a similar manner to how a camcorder acquires focus. This system integrates two separate photodiodes within each pixel to provide a broad and dense network of 5655 phase-detection gathering elements across a majority of the image sensor to reduce focus hunting for faster, more direct control of focus placement. When working with still imagery, this focusing system works to acquire focus quickly and accurately, making it ideally suited to shooting and tracking moving subjects so that critical focus is attained with each shot. When shooting video, a Movie Servo AF mode offers smooth and natural focusing when changing from different subjects or different distances within the scene, as well as the ability to specify tracking sensitivity, AF speed, and Face Tracking priority. Benefited by the Touch AF system, rack focus is possible simply by touching elements within the scene on the touchscreen in order to change focus in an intuitive manner. Subject tracking in movies is also heightened due to the Dual Pixel CMOS AF system’s ability to recognize subjects and maintain focus when working within changing or cluttered scenery. Additionally, the focus system is sensitive down to EV -6 for working in truly low-light conditions with accurate AF capabilities.
UHD 4K Video Recording and Canon Log Gamma
Designed for multimedia image-maker, the EOS R supports UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) resolution recording at up to 30 fps at 480 Mb/s, along with Full HD 1080p shooting at 60 fps and HD 720p at 120 fps for slow motion playback. When recording in-camera, 4K video has 4:2:2 sampling and 8-bit color depth, a 4:2:2 10-bit clean output in ITU-R CT.2020 is possible when using an external recorder.
Integrated Canon Log also allows users to capture flat images with an improved dynamic range of 800%, or 12 stops. This function makes it easier to match cameras in post-production as well as provides the most latitude and potential for color grading. For monitoring, a View Assist function is available, which emulates a graded look for more accurate viewing on the camera’s LCD.
Audio can be recorded using the on-board stereo microphone or an optional external mic can also be used via the 3.5mm mic jack.
Dual Pixel RAW
First introduced with the EOS 5D Mark IV, Dual Pixel RAW allows photographers to record all the information the sensor’s unique pixel architecture can deliver, providing a way for fine adjustments to be made after the image is taken. These adjustments include focus fine tuning that can help you ever-so-slightly adjust the focus point to bring out extra details, shift bokeh around for improved composition, and reduce the impact of ghosting on your photos. This requires the use of Canon’s Digital Photo Professional software.
- Integrated 3.69m-dot OLED electronic viewfinder has 0.71x magnification and affords a bright and clear means for eye-level viewing.
- Rear 3.15″ 2.1m-dot LCD features a swivel design for easier use when working from high, low, and front-facing angles. It is also a touchscreen for intuitive control over shooting, playback, and menu navigation controls.
- Customizable Multi-Function Bar is located near the viewfinder on the rear of the camera, and can be set to control four functions using right, left, slide, and press movements. It can be used to adjust ISO or white balance, to check focus/display focus info or AF modes, change to movie shooting modes, use flexible-priority AE, or be customized for other functions.
- Top panel incorporates a dot-matrix LCD, which provides quick access to important camera settings.
- One SD memory card slot featured, and supports the UHS-II protocol for faster read and write speeds to better support 4K video recording and fast continuous shooting.
- Magnesium alloy body design is lightweight, durable, and features dust- and water-resistant seals for use in a variety of weather conditions.
- Built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity enable wireless sharing, control, and image transfer with a compatible smart device via the Canon Camera Connect app, which also supports geotagging your files using your mobile device’s location data.
- Included LP-E6N rechargeable lithium-ion battery provides approximately 430 shots per charge, and in-camera charging is supported via the PD-E1 USB Power Adapter.
- This camera is also compatible with the LP-E6 battery, however is not supported for in-camera charging.
Other Camera Features
Digital Lens Optimizer helps to minimize the appearance of various optical aberrations in-camera, including diffraction, for cleaner image quality.
Multi shot noise reduction technology records four sequential exposures and then combines them in-camera to produce an image with smoother tones and lower noise to suit long exposure images.
Images can be saved as Compact Raw (C-RAW / .CR3) files, which offer smaller file sizes for faster post-processing.
Language Support: English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Portuguese, Finnish, Italian, Ukraine, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Greek, Russian, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Vietnamese, Hindi, Romanian, Turkish, Arabic, Thai, Simplified/Traditional Chinese, Korean, Malay, Indonesian, and Japanese.
Canon RF 24-105mm f/4-7.1 IS STM Lens
Sleek and versatile, the Canon RF 24-105mm f/4-7.1 IS STM is a well-rounded zoom covering wide-angle to short telephoto focal lengths to benefit working in a wide variety of conditions. A variable maximum aperture also helps to maintain an impressively compact profile to suit everyday shooting needs. Complementing the flexible design is a unique Center Macro Focus position, which enables working with close-up subjects at a 1:2 maximum magnification ratio, and an Optical Image Stabilizer also helps to achieve sharp imagery by minimizing the appearance of camera shake. Also, an STM motor affords impressively quiet and smooth autofocus performance and full-time manual focus override. Additionally, a configurable Control Ring lets you adjust exposure settings, including ISO, aperture, and exposure compensation, from the lens itself.
- Standard zoom covers wide-angle to short-telephoto focal lengths to suit working in a variety of situations.
- An Optical Image Stabilizer helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake by up to five stops to better enable working in low-light conditions and with slower shutter speeds.
- STM stepping motor offers fast, quiet, smooth, and accurate autofocus performance that is ideal for video recording as well as still shooting.
- Specialized Center Macro Focus setting enables working with a 1:2 maximum magnification and a 5.2″ minimum focusing distance to suit photographing close-up subjects.
- Configurable Control Ring can be used to adjust a variety of exposure settings, including aperture, ISO, and exposure compensation.
- Rounded seven-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality.
There are no reviews yet.