ZEISS Batis 18mm f/2.8 Overview
Delivering an impressively wide field of view, the Sony E-mount Batis 18mm f/2.8 from ZEISS is an ultra-wide prime, well-suited to interior, architectural, landscape, and astrophotography applications. Within the Distagon optical design, this lens uses a series of aspherical and anomalous partial dispersion elements to greatly reduce color fringing, distortion, and other aberrations to realize sharp, clear, and color-accurate imagery. A floating elements system is also employed for consistent performance throughout the focusing range, and an enhanced ZEISS T* anti-reflective coating has been applied to reduce flare and ghosting for working in difficult lighting conditions.
Batis-series lenses are distinguished by their innovative use of an OLED display on the lens barrel, which highlights the focus distance and depth of field range for quickly recognizing your focusing parameters. As an autofocus lens, linear motors are used to deliver quick, quiet, and smooth focusing performance to suit both stills and video applications. Additionally, the lens body also sports a dust- and moisture-sealed design to permit its use in trying environments.
- Wide-angle prime is designed for full-frame Sony E-mount mirrorless cameras, however can also be used with APS-C models where it will provide a 27mm equivalent focal length
- Bright f/2.8 maximum aperture suits working in available-light conditions and is also ideal for astrophotography use.
- Distagon optical concept affords high sharpness, well-corrected image quality from edge-to-edge, and very low field curvature.
- Two aspherical elements, five elements made from anomalous partial dispersion glass, and a pair of aspherical elements also made from low dispersion glass are featured, and all contribute to significantly reducing chromatic and spherical aberrations, color fringing, and distortion for improved clarity, sharpness, and resolution.
- ZEISS T* anti-reflective coating has been applied to each lens surface to help minimize reflections and provide greater contrast and color fidelity.
- Floating elements system helps to maintain consistent image quality throughout the entire focusing range, from 9.8″ to infinity.
- Integrated OLED display on the top of the lens shows the working focus distance as well as the depth of field range for quickly recognizing the parameters of focus in use, even when working in low-light conditions.
- Linear motors benefit the autofocus performance of the lens and provide smooth, fast, and quiet operation. For manual focusing, a rubberized ring offers greater tactile control for precise placement of focus.
- Dust and weather-sealed construction benefits using the lens in inclement shooting conditions.