In celebration of Tamron’s 40th anniversary of the SP lens series, the Canon EF-mount SP 35mm f/1.4 Di USD has been created to showcase their lens-making capabilities. This flexible wide-angle prime is ideal for general shooting applications, ranging from street photography to event shooting, and its impressively bright f/1.4 maximum aperture excels in difficult lighting conditions and offers increased control over depth of field. The optical design incorporates a series of low dispersion and aspherical elements, which control a variety of aberrations in order to achieve high image clarity and sharpness. A BBAR-G2 coating has also been applied, and helps to reduce flare and ghosting for improved color and contrast when working in strong lighting conditions. Complementing the optics, a USD motor and Dynamic Rolling-cam mechanism are also employed to ensure quick, quiet autofocus performance along with seamless full-time manual focus override. Additionally, the lens features a moisture-resistant construction along with a front fluorine coating to support working in harsh weather conditions.
- Wide-angle prime is designed for full-frame Canon EF-mount cameras, however can also be used with APS-C models where it provides a 56mm equivalent focal length.
- Fast f/1.4 maximum aperture suits working in low-light conditions and also affords extensive control over depth of field for isolating subjects using selective focus techniques.
- Four low dispersion elements are featured and greatly limit color fringing and chromatic aberrations in order to achieve higher clarity and color fidelity throughout the aperture range.
- Three glass-molded aspherical elements are used to suppress distortion and spherical aberrations, and contribute to accurate rendering and high sharpness.
- Second generation BBAR-G2 coating has been applied to individual elements and provides refined correction and control over ghosting and lens flare for greatly improved contrast and color accuracy when working in backlit conditions.
- An Ultrasonic Silent Drive autofocus motor delivers quick and precise focusing performance and a Dynamic Rolling-cam mechanism also contributes to swift focusing movement of the large f/1.4 optical system. This motor also affords full-time manual focus control, and it is possible to focus on subjects as close as 11.8″ away at a 1:5 maximum magnification ratio.
- A moisture-resistant construction benefits this lens’ use in inclement conditions, and a fluorine coating has also been applied to the front lens element to protect against dust, dirt, and smearing.
- Rounded nine-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality.
- Compatible with optional TAP-in Console for fine-tuning select focusing adjustments and for updating lens firmware.