The Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN Contemporary Lens is a compact, high-performance ultrawide zoom meant to compliment a photographer’s arsenal by providing a versatile range of focal lengths in a small and lightweight package, without compromising on optical quality. A fast f/2.8 constant aperture allows for the use of faster shutter speeds in low-light scenarios as well as being especially useful for closeup shots thanks to its shallow depth of field.
This lens utilizes a complex arrangement of specialized aspherical and low dispersion glass elements to effectively suppress chromatic aberrations for improved clarity and color accuracy. Super Multi-Layer and Nano Porous Coatings have also been applied to improve contrast and color rendering by reducing lens flare and ghosting when working in strong lighting conditions. The inner zoom & focus mechanism keeps the dimensions of the lens constant throughout the zoom range and at all focus distances. This design feature allows for almost no balance point shift and a fixed front element, making it an ideal instrument for videography, travel, and landscape photography.
- Constant f/2.8 maximum aperture is well-suited for working in available lighting conditions.
- Two large-diameter aspherical elements control spherical aberrations and distortion for increased sharpness and accurate rendering.
- Rounded nine-blade diaphragm contributes to a smooth and pleasing bokeh quality.
- 72mm front filter thread allows for the use of common screw-in filters instead of specialized setups.
- A stepping AF motor benefits both photographers and videographers with its fast, precise, and near-silent performance. Full-time manual focus control can also be selected.
- Weather-resistant construction with a brass bayonet that affords improved mounting accuracy and rigidity.