The Canon EF mount Samyang 35mm f/1.4 AS UMC Lens is a prime standard wide-angle lens designed for both full-frame and APS-C sized sensors; when used with an APS-C sensor the 35mm-equivalent focal length is 56mm. It is well-suited to working in a variety of situations ranging from landscape to portraiture. Its fast f/1.4 maximum aperture is further beneficial to working in low-light conditions and for greater control over selective focus and shallow depth of field effects.
Two high refractive index elements and one aspherical element have been incorporated into the optical design to minimize chromatic aberrations in order to produce sharper images. A UMC coating has also been applied to lens elements to reduce surface reflections and prevent lens flare and ghosting for improved light transmission and more contrast-rich imagery.
This lens also incorporates an AE microprocessor that enables the camera to electronically confirm focus as well as permit camera-based control over exposure settings.
- When used with full-frame image sensors, this lens’ wide-angle perspective is well-suited to use in a broad array of conditions. When used with APS-C-sized sensors, this 56mm equivalent standard prime lens provides a similar field of view to normal vision.
- Fast f/1.4 maximum aperture benefits working in low-light conditions and provides greater control over focus placement for shallow depth of field applications.
- Two high refractive index elements and one aspherical element reduce chromatic aberrations in order to produce greater sharpness and clarity.
- UMC coating improves light transmission and suppresses lens flare and ghosting for more contrast-rich, color-neutral images.
- An AE microprocessor is incorporated within this lens’ design, which enables camera-based control over exposure settings and also permits in-camera manual focus confirmation.