Panasonic HC-X20 Overview
Bring your mobile sports, event, or documentary video productions into the world of 4K with the Panasonic HC-X20 4K Mobile Camcorder with Rich Connectivity. Featuring a large 1″ 15.03MP 4K sensor, the HC-X20 can record high-quality, professional-grade video in up to UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) 10-bit 4:2:2 resolutions. You can also record 1080p in VFR (variable frame rate) in 10 increments from 2 to 60 fps, as well as record HD video in a super-slow-motion mode at a frame rate up to 120 fps. The X20 also features numerous enhancements to its high-speed AF with face detection, a brighter monitor, UHD 4K image stabilization, and built-in Wi-Fi.
Whether producing event or ENG-style videos or live streaming, the 20x optical zoom power of the lens starts from a wide 24mm equivalent FOV for shooting in tight spots or grabbing impressive establishing shots, and it extends out to 32x i.Zoom for getting in tight on far-away subjects. The X20 also features built-in Wi-Fi that allows you to live stream via RTMP/RTSP so you can stream using popular content providers such as YouTube or Facebook Live. You can also wirelessly remotely control the X20 using a tablet or smartphone with a free-to-download Panasonic app.
While 4K video formats may seem daunting, the X20 manages to record them onto convenient SD cards (U3 rated or faster cards are required for video bit rates above 100 Mb/s) that are both small and robust. Two card slots are provided for increased flexibility. You can record to both cards simultaneously, either for backing up or recording high and low bit rate files or enable relay recording to capture a single file that spans multiple cards for longer recording times.
Ergonomically, the X20 features a compact handheld camcorder body with plenty of customizable control buttons for quickly accessing essential functions. When handheld, the sharp OLED EVF is within easy reach, and a high-bright 3.5″ touchscreen is offered for monitoring and menu control; and both can be used simultaneously. Waveforms and scopes can be displayed to aid in exposure control. Atop the handgrip sits a large zoom rocker for precise zoom control. Lens functions can also be controlled manually using the three lens rings, one for focus, one for zoom, and one for iris. A 5900mAh battery for powering the X20 is included, along with a charger and a power supply for fixed-position operating.
High-Definition 4K Imagery with 1″ MOS Sensor
This effective 1″ MOS Sensor (15.03MP) combines ideal depth of field with balanced image quality and sensitivity.
- Ideal for news, sports, and events, the X20 features a Wi-Fi connection for streaming and wireless camera control. It supports RTMP (Real Time Messaging Protocol), the protocol used when streaming with Adobe Flash, and it is RTSP/RTP/RTMP/RTMPS compatible using H.264/MPEG-4 AVC/AAC-LC compression. It supports streaming distribution of RTMP-compatible content, such as live video distribution services, and it records (with modes below FHD) onto SD cards in the camera is also possible while streaming.
A 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi module is built-in, so there is no need to purchase a separate wireless LAN module. Wi-Fi connection is possible using only the main unit. A tablet/smartphone with the HC ROP (available for free on Apple’s App Store or Google Play) can be used for wireless remote control. The app can be used to control up to eight cameras.
4-Drive Lens System
The 4-Drive Lens System simultaneously and independently drives 4 lens groups (group 2, iris, group 3, group 4). The lens size and drive range for each of the 4 groups can be efficiently suppressed to optimize image quality and zoom power, maintaining a compact body.
5-Axis Hybrid O.I.S.
In both UHD/FHD modes, in addition to Optical Image Stabilization (O.I.S.), Electronic Image Stabilization operates to detect and correct handshake in the 5-axis direction, including rotational blurring. This provides powerful correction in unstable situations, such as low-angle and high-angle shooting.
There are three modes to choose from:
- NORMAL (standard)
- STABLE (effective for fixed-frame shooting)
- PAN/TILT (effective in panning and tilting)
- HDMI Output
- HDMI outputs up to 3840 x 2160 UHD 4K 4:2:2 10-bit, high image quality output, compatible with various applications.
- 4K High-Precision AF
- By moving the Micro Drive Focus Unit minutely and quickly, highly precise AF performance is also achieved when shooting in 4K or shooting with a
- shallow depth of field.
- Focus Assist Functions
- Provided with Face Detection to precisely capture subjects onsite free from out of focus problems and insufficient exposure. Also, by adding color recognition, tracking subjects is improved, without interruption, when the face moves to either side.
- Area Mode: Auto Focus is easily possible with just a touch on the LCD panel. You can also change this to Auto Iris and Brightness Display on the screen
- Y Get: Measures brightness at the center and displays numerical data
- Focus Assist: When the Focus Assist button is pressed during manual focusing
- Expand: Visibility can be enhanced by expanding the display of any desired part of the screen
- Peaking: The contours of subjects in focus are colored for display emphasis
- Expand and Peaking: Expand and Peaking can be used in combination
- One Press AF: This function temporarily activates Auto Focus when shooting in Manual mode
Triple Manual Rings
The X20 features triple manual rings on the lens barrel for Zoom, Focus, and Iris control. These manual functions ensure professional operation and enable speedy and intuitive camera work.
ND filters are built into the lens to suppress the amount of incident light. The filters can be selected (1/4, 1/16, 1/64, or Clear) to match the shooting environment. This is convenient, for example, when you want to shoot at a slow shutter speed in bright daylight. Also, when opening the aperture, you can attain high resolution and a shallow depth of field.
Versatile Recording Modes
Equipped with new, highly efficient codec HEVC recording
High-bit rate recording with LongGOP; 4:2:2 10-bit (UHD 4K30), 4:2:0 8-bit (UHD 4K60)
MOV files with compatibility and control are used
The same file system with the Professional Handheld Camcorder will automatically create filenames 20 characters in length for easy control of clips. Conventional AVCHD acquisition is also supported
20x Optical Zoom
The optical 20x zoom lens features an optical zoom of 20x, a 24x maximum digital i.Zoom range in UHD 4K, and a maximum 32x digital i.Zoom in 1080p. The lens can quickly cover the entire zoom range, so you won’t miss your shots.
VFR (2-60 fps) / Super Slow-Motion Recording
HD mode achieves a super slow-motion effect with a maximum 120 fps or 100 fps. It supports high-quality 10-bit recording in FHD mode. The image area is not cropped even at high frame rates.
48 kHz / 24-Bit High Resolution PCM Audio Recording
Two XLR inputs with switchable 48V phantom power supply/MIC/LINE. In MOV mode, 24-bit linear PCM recording delivers high resolution sound quality. Volume control dial enables 2-channel control, and it also features an OSD level meter and a 3.5mm stereo headphone output.
Camera Image Adjustment Functions
Provided with professional camera image adjustment functions including the 16-axis independent color correction function similar to the one in a broadcast video camera as well as detail, skin detail, chroma level, chroma phase, master pedestal, gamma and knee setting functions.
IR Shooting in Dark Places
The IR Cut Filter can be turned ON/OFF (allocated on the User button). When the filter is turned OFF, commercially available IR lights can be used for shooting in dark places
- The 3.5mm LCD touchscreen monitor can be constantly displayed even when viewing the tiltable EVF.
- High-Capacity Battery
- The camera is powered using a high-capacity AG-VBR series battery.
- Dual SD Card Slots
- Double SD card slots are provided to enable unlimited relay recording by simply changing SD cards, and allows the use of various recording systems to ensure high recording reliability.
- Professional Assist Functions
- The camera features multiple professional assist functions, including:
- Waveform monitor
- Flash Band detection and correction
- Luminance level adjustment
- Level gauge And more