Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 17-55mm f/2.8G IF-ED Overview
Designed as a DX workhorse, the Nikon AF-S DX Zoom-NIKKOR 17-55mm f/2.8G IF-ED is a 25.5-82.5mm-equivalent zoom characterized by its bright maximum aperture and sophisticated optical design. The fast f/2.8 constant maximum aperture benefits working in difficult lighting conditions and also enables greater control over depth of field when working with selective focus techniques. The optical design incorporates three aspherical elements and three extra-low dispersion elements, which help to greatly reduce spherical and chromatic aberrations throughout the zoom range. A Super Integrated Coating also minimizes surface reflections, flare, and ghosting for improved contrast and color accuracy. Complementing the optics, this lens also sports a Silent Wave Motor for fast and accurate autofocus along with full-time manual focus control.
- Standard zoom covers wide-angle to portrait-length focal lengths and is designed for Nikon F-mount DX-format cameras, where it provides a 25.5-82.5mm-equivalent range.
- Bright constant f/2.8 maximum aperture affords consistent illumination throughout the zoom range and also affords greater control over depth of field for working with selective focus techniques.
- Three aspherical elements are used to reduce spherical aberrations and distortion in order to realize sharp imagery with accurate rendering.
- Three extra-low dispersion elements greatly reduce color fringing and chromatic aberrations in order to produce greater clarity and color accuracy.
- A Super Integrated Coating has been applied to individual elements to suppress internal reflections, flare, and ghosting for improved contrast and color accuracy when working in strong lighting conditions.
- Silent Wave Motor affords quick, quiet, and precise autofocus performance along with full-time manual focus override. An internal focusing design is also used, where only the internal lens groups are moved during focusing, to maintain the overall length of the lens during use and to promote faster focusing speeds.
- Rounded nine-blade diaphragm promotes a pleasing out of focus quality that benefits the use of shallow depth of field and selective focus techniques.