Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 120-300mm f/2.8E FL ED SR V… Overview
Speed, reach, and flexibility define the Nikon AF-S 120-300mm f/2.8E FL ED SR VR; an F-mount telephoto zoom characterized by an advanced optical design, quick focusing performance, and a bright f/2.8 constant maximum aperture. Fluorite, short-wavelength refractive (SR), and extra-low dispersion (ED) glass is used throughout the optical layout to effectively suppress a variety of aberrations for improved clarity, sharpness, and color accuracy throughout the zoom range. ARNEO and Nano Crystal Coats, as well as a Super Integrated Coating, have been applied, too, to suppress flare, ghosting, and surface reflections for improved contrast and color fidelity.
Balancing the optical merits, this 120-300mm is also characterized by its inclusion of a Vibration Reduction image stabilization system that compensates for camera shake to enable sharper handheld shooting. A Silent Wave Motor also benefits producing sharp imagery and affords quick and quiet autofocus performance along with full-time manual focus override. Additionally, a rotating tripod collar is featured to assist working with a support system and this lens utilizes an electromagnetic diaphragm to ensure consistent exposure stability when shooting at fast continuous speeds.
- Designed for use with FX image sensors, this 120-300mm lens is also compatible with DX sensors where it will provide a 180-450mm equivalent focal length range.
- Constant f/2.8 maximum aperture offers consistent illumination throughout the zoom range and benefits working in available lighting conditions as well as offers improved control over depth of field.
- Featuring a combination of one extra-low dispersion element, two fluorite elements, and one short-wavelength refractive element, chromatic aberrations and color fringing is effectively eliminated throughout the zoom range for notable clarity and color accuracy.
- Vibration Reduction image stabilization helps to reduce the appearance of camera shake, benefiting this lens’ use in low-light conditions. Additionally, a designated Sport Mode is well-suited to working in fast-paced conditions and a Tripod Mode helps to suppress subtle ground vibrations when working atop a support system.
- Silent Wave Motor affords quick, quiet, and precise autofocus performance along with full-time manual focus override.
- Focus range limiter allows you to constrict the focus system to a 19.7′ to infinity range for faster focusing performance.
- Assignable Function buttons can be used for lens-based activation of AF/AE Lock modes or for switching between different AF Area Modes.
- Dust- and moisture-resistant lens barrel, along with a front fluorine coating, benefits the lens’ use in inclement conditions.
- Tripod collar offers well-balanced support when working from a monopod or tripod. The collar ring also incorporates ball bearings for smooth transitions between horizontal and vertical shooting orientations.
- Specialized electromagnetic aperture mechanism provides greater exposure control stability that is especially beneficial when working with fast continuous shooting rates.
- Rounded nine-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality.