Nikon NI8X42M5 Overview
Improving on their Monarch 3 design, Nikon’s black 8×42 Monarch 5 Binoculars benefit from upgrades to the glass and optical coatings to improve image quality with the same focus on comfort and performance the Monarch line is known for.
Featuring extra-low dispersion glass elements with anti-reflection fully multi-coated optics and highly reflective dielectric-coated and phase-corrected roof prisms, the Monarch 5 produces bright and clear high-contrast images with accurate color rendition and minimal color fringing across the entire field of view. Their 8x magnification brings subjects up close, but without the noticeable hand shake often associated with higher power optics, while the 42mm objectives boost their light-gathering ability to improve views in challenging light such as during the pre-dawn and late evening hours or in foggy and cloudy weather. With the combination of glass, prisms, optical coatings, and a long eye relief, users can enjoy a comfortable and immersive observational experience in most lighting conditions.
Complementing the optical performance are construction details that make these binoculars durable and comfortable to use. They have a lightweight and durable reinforced polycarbonate ATB chassis and are protected by rubberized armor that is accented with indented palm rests to give them a secure non-slip grip. The optical tubes are nitrogen filled and O-ring sealed to be waterproof and resistant to internal fogging when moving through extreme temperature variations and environmental conditions. A one-piece ocular rainguard covers the eyecups as the binoculars hang around the neck and prevent rain and spraying water from filling them, and the objective lens caps are also tethered to keep them safe from being lost on the forest floor. This version of the Monarch 5 is offered here in subdued black, so they won’t draw notice in the wild, at the stadium, or when sightseeing around town.
- 8x power magnifies objects without sacrificing field of view or exit pupil
- 42mm objective lenses improve light-gathering ability without adding excessive bulk or weight
- Roof prism light path ensures optical tubes remain thin for a compact form factor
- Extralow-dispersion glass reduces chromatic and spherical aberrations for increased contrast, improved color rendition, and sharpness without distortion across the entire field of view
- Phase-corrected prism coatings reduce internal interference to improve light transmission, contrast, and resolution
- Anti-reflection fully multi-coated optics maximize light transmission across the entire visible spectrum for accurate color rendition and improved contrast and clarity
- Highly reflective dielectric prism multi-layer coatings boost internal reflection to >99% to maintain image brightness and improve contrast and clarity
- 330′ field of view at 1000 yards
Use and Handling
- Closed-bridge configuration provides a solid and stable platform for the internal focusing mechanism
- Large slip center focus wheel allows for precise focus control, even while wearing gloves
- Right eye dioptric adjustment collar helps to compensate for individual eye prescription
- 56-72mm interpupillary distance range allows easy use by a wide variety of people
- Twist-up/click-stop rubber eyecups for use with or without eyewear
- Tripod mountable with optional adapter for hands-free use
- Long 19.5mm eye relief helps to reduce eyestrain and improves viewing comfort
- Wide 5.3mm exit pupils will completely cover most pupils as they open and dilate in low light to keep the full scene in view
- Environmentally friendly Eco-Glass is made without lead or arsenic
- Lightweight and durable fiberglass-reinforced polycarbonate chassis
- Chassis material is temperature resistant, preventing the expansion and contraction that is common with metal, which can cause the optical components to move out of alignment over time and prevent sharp focus
- Textured protective rubber armoring provides a slip-resistant grip, especially in cold and wet weather
- Indents on the sides of the optical tubes are ergonomically placed where the hands naturally fall for a more comfortable feel in the hand and a more secure grip
- Nitrogen filled and O-ring sealed to be waterproof and resistant to internal fogging when moving through extreme temperature changes and environmental conditions
- Black coloring allows it to remain inconspicuous in all environments
- One-piece tethered ocular rainguard protects eyecups from water pooling in them from rain or spraying water when hanging from the neck
- Tethered fold-down objective lens caps prevents losing them during observation sessions
- Weight: 21 ounces
There are no reviews yet.