FUJIFILM X-H2 Overview
FUJIFILM X-H2: Life in Detail
Pushing the boundaries of APS-C imaging, the FUJIFILM X-H2 is a high-resolution mirrorless crop-sensor camera featuring a groundbreaking 40MP BSI sensor and an arsenal of cutting-edge features packed into a small and durable X-series body. Standing atop the X-System lineup, this high performing camera inherits many of the GFX system’s advances in digital capture technology to provide image quality, detail, and color rendition never before seen in a crop-sensor camera, while retaining its characteristic compact form factor and sleek design that has garnered the X-System a loyal following worldwide.
Backside-Illuminated Sensor and 64-Bit Processing
X-Trans 5 BSI Sensor
Ideal for architectural, travel, and landscape photographers, the X-H2 sports a backside-illuminated, APS-C-format 40MP X-Trans 5 HR sensor, which ups the resolution and improves low-light performance compared to previous generations. First, as an X-Trans sensor, it uses the unique color filter array that inherently minimizes moiré and contributes to more natural color rendering; next, the BSI design helps reduce noise and improve tonality and clarity; and, finally, the design greatly reduces rolling shutter and other motion distortion to better suit high-speed video and photo applications. The remarkable resolution allows for 2x digital zoom and has up to 13 stops of dynamic range.
Partner to the newly designed sensor is a fresh engine—the X-Processor 5—which uses 64-bit processing to realize 3x faster speeds for both video and photo tasks compared to the X-T4. On the video side, this enables recording at bit rates of up to 720 mb/s.
On the stills end, this quick processing means faster shooting to suit photographing moving subjects. When working with an electronic shutter, shooting at up to 20 fps is possible, with a buffer of 202 consecutive uncompressed raw frames. With the mechanical shutter, shooting speeds of up to 15 fps are possible, along with the ability to shoot upwards of 1000 raw frames in a single burst.
Benefitting both video and stills applications, this processing also benefits the sophisticated and AI-backed autofocus system, helps achieve a 14-stop dynamic range, and enables an enhanced sensitivity range from ISO 125-12800.
4K 60p and 8K 30p Internal Recording
Despite its focus on photography, the X-H2 has an impressive video system capable of 4:2:2 10-bit internal recording in 8K at 30fps and in both DCI/UHD 4K at up to 60 fps and Full HD at up to 240p. A variety of codecs are supported as well, including H.265 and three tiers of ProRes: the high bitrate 422 HQ, the standard 422, and the more compressed 422 LT. Also, continuous recording times up to 160 minutes are possible at all frame rates and resolutions and can be extended to 240 minutes with the external clip-on fan.
External Raw Recording
Using the full-size HDMI port, 12-bit raw video recording is possible when paired with a compatible external recorder. Both ProRes RAW and Blackmagic RAW recording is possible, along with the ability to work with F-Log or F-Log 2 profiles, and either format supports working in resolutions up to the open-gate 8K.
Improved Autofocus and Image Stabilization
Hybrid AF with Deep Learning AI Benefitted by the improved processing, autofocus performance is noticeably faster and more intelligent. This hybrid focusing system uses 425 phase-detection points and is now sensitive down to -7 EV for working in truly low-light conditions. Also, backed by deep learning, an AI adaptive algorithm means this focusing system is better suited to automatically detect and track a variety of subject types.
Pixel Shift Multishot
Pixel Shift Multishot takes multiple exposures in rapid succession, each one precisely shifting the image sensor by half a pixel, capturing the subject on a different part of the image sensor each time and yielding a single 160-Megapixel image with the help of the Pixel Shift Combiner software.
In-Body Image Stabilization
Built-in 5-axis sensor-shift image stabilization helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake by up to 7 stops. This system works in conjunction with most X Series lenses, including non-stabilized ones, and benefits working with slower shutter speeds and when shooting in difficult lighting conditions. Additionally, digital image stabilization can also be used during video recording to further aid in steadying footage, especially when recording handheld.
Practical and Durable Design
- Large OLED electronic viewfinder features a crisp 5.76m-dot resolution and a 0.8x magnification for bright, clear, and detailed eye-level viewing.
- Rear 3.0″ LCD has a high 1.62m-dot resolution and a touchscreen interface for intuitive control. Also, its vari-angle design means the screen can be flipped out
- to the side, tilted up or down, and closed with the screen against the body for protection.
- 1.28″ monochrome LCD screen on the top plate is a simple means for quickly reviewing shooting settings.
- Dual memory card slots include one CFexpress Type B slot and one SD UHS-II slot for file-saving flexibility.
- The CFexpress Type B slot should be prioritized for higher bitrate video recording and fast continuous shooting, and the SD slot is a convenient alternative for backups or less speed-critical shooting.
- NP-W235 battery provides approximately 720 frames per charge when working with the EVF in Economy Mode, or approximately 580 frames in Normal Mode.
- Full-size HDMI Type A port for outputting video to an external recorder or monitor.
- USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C port supports tethering, data transfer, and in-camera battery charging.
- 3.5mm headphone and external microphone ports for greater control over audio recording.
- PC sync port for flash sync.
- 2.5mm remote port for using wired remote controllers.
- Integrated Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity allows for wirelessly sharing images to a mobile device or to use the device to remotely control the camera.
Film Simulation Modes
Film Simulation modes allow you to reproduce the look and feel of several of FUJIFILM’s film types, including Provia, Velvia, Astia, Classic Chrome, Classic Neg., Nostalgic Neg., Pro Neg. Hi, Pro Neg. Standard, Eterna, Eterna Bleach Bypass, Acros, Monochrome, and Sepia. Additionally, Grain Effect can be adjusted as well as Color Chrome effect to fine-tune the look of imagery.
There are no reviews yet.