Popular for its reach and flexibility, the Canon RF 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM is a fresh take on this well-regarded focal length, featuring an impressively sleek and lightweight form factor perfect for their full-frame mirrorless cameras. The constant f/4 maximum aperture strikes a balance between being bright enough for available light shooting while also contributing to the especially portable, handholdable design. Complementing this is an apt Optical Image Stabilizer, which compensates for up to 5 stops of camera shake, or up to an impressive 7.5 stops of shake correction when paired with an EOS R-type body with IBIS.
Optically, this lens incorporates four UD elements, which suppress a variety of aberrations throughout the zoom range for high clarity, and an Air Sphere Coating is also featured to reduce flare and ghosting. Balancing the distinguished optical system is a Dual Nano USM focus system, which delivers fast, nearly silent autofocus performance with full-time manual focus override. Additionally, this 70-200mm is weather-sealed and has a fluorine coating to protect the front and rear elements.
In December of 2021, firmware update 1.1.0 added two key improvements. Please see the Features section below for details. Depending on when you received your lens, it may already have this firmware version. You can check the version in the camera menu, as instructed in the manual.
- Versatile telephoto zoom lens is designed for use with full-frame Canon RF-mount mirrorless cameras.
- Constant f/4 maximum aperture affords consistent performance throughout the zoom range and also contributes to the relatively lightweight design and compact form factor.
- Four UD (Ultra-Low Dispersion) elements help to minimize chromatic aberrations and color fringing in order to provide greater clarity and color accuracy.
- An Air Sphere Coating (ASC) has been applied to lens elements to reduce backlit flaring and ghosting for maintained light transmission and high contrast in strong lighting conditions.
- An Optical Image Stabilizer helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake by 5 stops to better enable working in low-light conditions and with slower shutter speeds. Also, when working with select cameras, up to 7.5 stops of stabilization may be available with the Coordinated Optical Image Stabilizer and In-Body Image Stabilizer.
- Dual Nano USM system utilizes both a ring type USM and an STM mechanism to realize quick and accurate focusing that is also smooth and nearly silent to suit both photography and video applications. This focusing system also affords full-time manual focus control when working in the one-shot AF mode.
- Configurable Control Ring can be used to adjust a variety of exposure settings, including aperture, ISO, and exposure compensation.
- Protective fluorine coating has been applied to the front and rear element to resist fingerprints and smudges and to make cleaning these elements significantly easier.
- As a member of the esteemed L-series, this lens has a weather-resistant design that protects against dust and moisture to enable its use in inclement conditions.
Firmware Update 1.1.0 (December 2021)
- Adds an electronic full-time manual focus function (a function that enables constant manual focus adjustment in both one-shot AF and servo AF), which is enabled when using the EOS R5, EOS R6, and EOS R3 cameras.
- Improves an issue in which the background is not blurred when performing slow panning with the IS (Image Stabilization) mode set to Mode 2 or Mode 3.
There are no reviews yet.